Artisana Organic Coconut Oil – Why I Bought This Product
I don’t know why it has been so difficult lately but it has taken me several days to find an organic coconut oil that I wanted to buy.
Yesterday, I stumbled across Artisana’s Organic Coconut Oil and immediately picked it up.
There are three main things that I have to see when buying coconut oil.
1) It has to be organic This goes without saying.
2) It has to be in a glass jar As I have written about before, I carry glass water bottles to work and want to use glass, instead of plastic, as much as I can.
I often see several different brands of coconut oil in plastic containers. Regardless of how badly I want or need the coconut oil, I don’t buy it and prefer to wait in order to get something that I am happy with.
3) It has to be raw I eat both cooked food and raw food. However, when I can buy food products that are raw, I do it. Why?
When food is cooked above a certain level, the heat kills the enzymes, nutrients and minerals. All nuts, seeds, nut butters, energy bars and crackers are foods that I try to buy raw.
Having it be extra-virgin is another requirement but it almost always come like that with a high quality coconut oil.
This coconut oil is made by Artisana, an excellent brand based in Berkeley, California. I met Artisana’s management team at Expo West 2010 and named their Cashini as of of the top products of the show.
Why Coconut Oil?
There are several good reasons to buy coconut oil.
– As the bottle says, it is an excellent cooking oil and is one of the very few oils that you can cook with.
Many people think that cooking with (heating) olive oil is healthy but it is absolutely not the case. If it exceeds 200-250 degrees, the oil changes color, loses its beneficial properties and becomes toxic. Watch this video to see what I mean.
– It contains a high degree of lauric acid. When lauric acid is converted into monolaurin, it provides anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-microbial properties to the body.
How I Use Coconut Oil
Primarily, I use coconut oil in my smoothies and as a moisturizer. It is excellent for the skin and promotes elasticity.
Although I don’t do it often, try making popcorn with coconut oil. I know you’ll love it.