Announcing a Freemium version! Get your FREE subscription to Organic Insider today!

Americans Continue to Make Organic Food a Priority in This Tough Economy, Whole Foods Price Comparison Study

Americans Continue to Make Organic Food a Priority in This Tough Economy, Whole Foods Price Comparison Study

A recent study conducted by Harris Interactive, on behalf of Whole Foods Markets Inc., showed that Americans continue to spend money on organic food, in spite of the challenging economy. Out of the more than 2,000 individuals surveyed, – Nearly 3 out of 4 people wouldn’t compromise on the quality of the food that they […]

Food Trends Whole Foods
LivingMaxwell.com

A recent study conducted by Harris Interactive, on behalf of Whole Foods Markets Inc., showed that Americans continue to spend money on organic food, in spite of the challenging economy.

Out of the more than 2,000 individuals surveyed,

– Nearly 3 out of 4 people wouldn’t compromise on the quality of the food that they buy.

– 72% of the respondents said they would continue to buy the same amount of natural and/or organic food as they always have.

– 24% of people said natural and/or organic food would make up more than a quarter of their total household food purchases this year.

The following results were particularly notable.

– 82% of people said current food prices have impacted their grocery shopping.

– 57% of respondents said that they eat dinner at home more and eat out at restaurants less, because of the economy.

When Whole Foods issued this press release, it also showed the results of a nationwide, competitive pricing study vs. national supermarket chains.

Completed this past summer by an independent, third-party firm, the study evaluated the prices of a basket of 14 different products, nearly all of which were organic.

SEATTLE, WA

Whole Foods: $35.87
Fred Meyer (Kroger): $39.26

SAN FRANCISCO, CA

Whole Foods: $35.86
Safeway: $46.06

FAIRFAX, VA

Whole Foods: $35.66
Wegmans: $40.66

ATLANTA, GA

Whole Foods: $36.76
Publix: $39.66

INTERPRETING THE RESULTS

Market Study:

The results did not surprise me much, especially the fact that people were not compromising on their organic food consumption.

Health is incredibly important, which means that the type of food families buy is also incredibly important.

In order to maintain their healthy, organic eating habits in this difficult economic climate, individuals are simply changing the way they eat, going out less and eating at home more, and they are probably shifting their non-food consumption habits as well.

Pricing Comparison Study

* To be honest, I was very surprised to see that Whole Foods came in less expensive than all four of the major supermarkets.

* In several instances, privately-labeled, organic Whole Foods products were compared to well-known organic brands. This accounted for many price discrepancies.

However, when privately-labeled organic products were offered by the national supermarkets, those items were used.

* It is time for me to do a similar price comparison study of Whole Foods versus a major chain to see if, in fact, these results hold up.

What do you think of the results? I am very curious to know.

To view a complete breakdown of the products purchased in this study, click HERE.


11 Comments

  • SHEDRACK NOLLO says:

    thnx much max for you research

  • Lindsey says:

    Especially in New York, I have found that buying Whole Food’s 365 brand is absoutely the most cost-effective way to buy organic foods! Other super-markets mark-up the price on organics…

  • Kristen says:

    Hi Max

    I can tell you as a vendor that sells to Whole Foods they work on a 40% margin while most other natural grocery stores work on a 30%. I don’t deal with conventional grocery stores like Kroger and Safeway because they charge slotting fees. Meaning you get to pay them $10,000 to get on the shelf. And if you don’t sell in 6 months you are kicked out. It’s pretty ruthless. But I can see comparing private labels to national brands would be a lot less expensive. Especially their 365 label, it’s really cheap. (and as a side note it’s not always organic, I am sure study choose only organics I just say this b/c that packaging is misleading)

    But as we know, 80% our immune systems are located in our digestive tracks. The other 20% in our skin. So organic, real food, and skin care can heal or hurt you. It’s that simple and worth every penny.

    Keep fighting the good fight Max.

    🙂

    Kristen

    • Max Goldberg says:

      Hi Kristen,

      Thanks so much for sharing your views as an organic food product manufacturer. It is always helpful for people, myself included, to get this perspective.

      Hope to see you at Expo West 2012!

      Live well,
      Max

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.