David Bronner is the CEO of Dr. Bronner’s and one of the most influential and actively engaged leaders in the organic industry.
When it comes to taking a stand on important social and environmental issues, I do not believe there is another company in our industry that has stepped up more than Dr. Bronner’s. The company has given millions to GMO-labeling, regenerative organic agriculture, organic hemp farming, the Organic Farmers Association and many other important causes.
In this week’s Organic Insider, I spoke with David Bronner, and we discussed the whole Impossible Burger controversy. Not only is David a vegan, but earlier this year he was publicly in support of the Impossible Burger, which contains a genetically-engineered protein as its main ingredient.
In my interview, David talks about:
– Why he was in favor of the Impossible Burger but has since changed his stance on it
– What would have to happen for him to be in support of the Impossible Burger again
– If the meat industry was behind the FDA’s rejection of the safety claims of Impossible Foods (the Impossible Burger)
– The three criteria that synbio GMO proteins, such as the one in the Impossible Burger, must meet in order for him to be okay with them
– The big picture goal that all of us need to be focusing on
The interview with David addresses one of the most important issues that are our industry faces today – should the organic industry be okay with genetically-engineered food products if they can lead to fewer CAFOs (animal factory farms), less pesticide use, and a reduction in organic farms being contaminated by GMOs?
Or, should we be against all genetically-engineered food products, even if they can potentially produce positive results in other areas of society?
Without question, this is a complex matter, but it is one that we need to be discussing.
To read my full interview with David Bronner, just sign up for a FREE, 2-week trial of Organic Insider (no credit card required) and I will send it right over to you.
Wishing you a great day!