As it stands now, 64 countries around the world require GMOs to be labeled — but the U.S. does not.
Since the federal government refuses to change this policy, states have been taking matters into their own hands by either passing GMO-labeling laws (Vermont) or banning the cultivation of GMOs (Oregon, Hawaii).
Needless to say, this trend isn’t sitting well with any of the big GMO and chemical companies.
So, they have had U.S. Representative Mike Pompeo, a Republican from Kansas, introduce a very, very dangerous amendment to the “Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act”, an act widely known as the “Deny Americans the Right-to-Know Act (DARK Act)” or the Monsanto Protection Act 2.0.
This amendment would do the following:
* preempt any state or county laws from regulating genetically-engineered crops in any way.
In other words, states and counties would have absolutely no right to regulate GMOs in any way.
Pompeo’s original DARK Act would:
* Prevent states from adopting their own GE-labeling laws.
* Block any attempt by states to make it illegal for food companies to put a “natural” label on products that contain genetically-engineered ingredients.
* Prevent the Food and Drug Administration from requiring companies to label genetically-engineered ingredients and instead continue a failed “voluntary” labeling policy.
So, what Rep. Pompeo has proposed is basically a free pass for all GMO companies to grow GMO crops with zero restrictions.
For organic consumers, this is an absolute nightmare. Not only do GMO crops lead to an increase in pesticide use, but they contaminate organic crops and can put organic farmers out of business.
WHAT YOU YOU CAN DO
If we want GMO-labeling in this country, we absolutely cannot let the DARK Act pass.
So, please contact your elected representatives in Washington D.C. and demand that they reject the Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act – HR 1599.
You can do so by:
1) Calling them directly.
Click HERE to find your Senators.
Click HERE to find your Representatives.
2) Sign the Center for Food Safety e-petition, by clicking HERE.
Thank you so much for taking action!!
In case you were wondering……..
1) Where does President Obama stand on all of this?
Despite his 2007 campaign pledge to label GMOs (below), he has done nothing to fight for GMO-labeling since being in office.
2) Where does 2016 presidential candidate Hillary Clinton stand on GMOs?
Take a look at the video below where she recently spoke at the Biotechnology Industry Organization conference and enthusiastically endorsed GMOs (see minutes 28 to 32).
When speaking about GMOs, she says that “there is a gap between what the facts are and what perceptions are.”
Want to stay up-to-date on the most important news and products in the organic food world?
To join my newsletter list, please enter your email below and I’ll send you my Top 5 Inexpensive Ways to Shop Organic.