THIS POST HAS BEEN UPDATED AS OF 1/3/2014
Does our government have any interest in putting the health of its citizens ahead of corporate profits of the chemical industry?
Based on recent news, it doesn’t appear that this is the case.
The USDA is poised to approve Dow Chemical’s genetically-modified corn that is resistant to 2,4-D, a primary ingredient in Agent Orange.
In case you’re not familiar with Agent Orange, it was the code name for one of the chemicals used in Vietnam as part of a broad herbicidal warfare program.
Vietnam estimates 400,000 people were killed or maimed, and 500,000 children were born with birth defects as a result of this lethal strategy.
But it wasn’t just the Vietnamese who suffered greatly. U.S. soldiers came back from the war and realized that exposure to Agent Orange had greatly impacted them as well.
More accurate than impacted is sickened or poisoned.
According to the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, veterans exposed to Agent Orange suffered from some of the following diseases:
- Acute and Subacute Peripheral Neuropathy
- Chronic B Cell Leukemia
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Hodgkin’s Disease
- Ischemic Heart Disease
- Multiple Myeloma
- Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Prostate Cancer
- Respiratory Cancer
It boggles my mind that our government can even consider using 2,4-D on its own crops, which will invariably end up on our dinner plates and in our bodies. And don’t forget what it will do to our already pesticide-filled water supply.
Yet, it is just par for the course with President Obama, who continues his amazing betrayal of the organic industry.
Not only did he completely abandon his 2007 campaign promise to label GMOs but his administration:
- Deregulated genetically-engineered alfalfa, which has the potential to destroy the organic meat and dairy industries.
- Recently awarded a $500,000 grant to the company trying to commercialize genetically-engineered salmon.
- Rubber stamps basically any genetically-engineered plant that comes across the USDA’s desk.
What can you do to help stop this?
1) Please forward this post to your friends, family and colleagues. It is vitally important that people become aware of what is truly going on, so they can get more involved.
2) Sign the electronic petition to protest this very unnecessary GM-crop.
Click HERE to tell the USDA that we do not need or want genetically-modified corn that is resistant to 2,4-D.
Thanks for your continued support of organic food.