The reason: they are contaminated with Listeria Monocytogenes – an infectious organism that can cause high fever, severe headaches, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, even in healthy people. Individuals who have comprised immune systems, pregnant women, the very young and the very old are the most susceptible.
The recall includes:
– Specialty Farms 4-ounce Organic Alfalfa Sprouts Blend
– Specialty Farms 4-ounce Organic Sprout Salad
– Nature’s Promise 4-ounce Organic Alfalfa Sprouts
– Nature’s Promise 8-ounce Organic Alfalfa Sprouts
– Nature’s Promise 4-ounce Organic Zesty Sprouts
The products were sold in Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania, Vermont and Rhode Island with sell-by dates of 8/3/2010. Other recalled products had earlier sell-by dates of 7/26/2010 and 8/1/2010.
When I was living in Boston, I used to eat several of their other sprout products on a weekly basis. Since I moved to New York City, however, I haven’t had them once. I guess I was lucky.
For more information about the recall, please check the announcement on the FDAs website. A full list of Specialty Farms’ products can be found here.